"Workforce Education at Green River was VERY instrumental in allowing me to go back to school, and I'm grateful for all the assistance I received and continue to receive." - Genie L, Green River Student

"Make sure you talk to Workforce Education...They can help in many ways to make things go smoothly and make sense." - Chris S, Green River Student

"Workforce Education...will embrace you and lend a helping hand with open hearts." Elsie Q, Green River Student

"Workforce Education has been there for me since day one!" - Jenny S, Green River student

Jan 28, 2013

Student Success Profile: Genie Loteria

Today's post spotlights the inspirational story of Genie Loteria. Genie is a Workforce Education student who is pursuing Business Education training at Green River. She is nearing completion of multiple certificates in her field of study. In spite of the obstacles, Genie pressed forward and made her dreams become a reality. Check out the story of her success below! Like Genie says, you can do anything you put your mind to.

Hi Genie. Thanks so much for joining us on the blog. Can you tell us what you're studying at Green River?

Genie: I am under the Business Education Certificate Program at Green River. I am currently on my final quarter, taking up Records Management to earn my final certificate for File Clerk. I have already finished and earned three certificates, namely: Accounting Clerk, Data Entry, and Office Support. 

Can you tell us the story of how you decided to pursue training in this field?

Genie: When I immigrated here from the Philippines, I had planned to rejoin the workforce as an accounting or administrative assistant. However, I found it difficult to find a job because of my lack of experience here in the U.S., as well as necessary training in computers and current business practices. I realized that in order for me to be able to work in the fields I am interested in, I needed to take the necessary steps to equip myself with computer skills, as well as brush up on business and accounting skills and knowledge, so I decided that going back to school would give me what I needed. Workforce Education at Green River was VERY instrumental in allowing me to go back to school, and I'm very grateful for all the assistance I received and continue to receive.

You're getting ready to graduate with multiple certificates. Congrats! What types of jobs will you be applying for after graduation?

Genie: Thank you. I really would like to start a career in accounting, particularly payroll, so I will be applying for accounting assistant, payroll assistant, or administrative assistant types of positions.

What advice would you have for new students who are thinking about pursuing training in a similar field of study?

Genie: My advice for them is to move forward with obtaining a good education despite the difficulties. I am in my early sixties, new to the country, and have a medical condition that made it difficult for me to hear, and I really thought I wouldn't be able to go back to school, but I have persevered and now I am almost done. I have gained the necessary skills I need to pursue a career that I want and most importantly, I have gained confidence in myself that I can do anything I set my mind to.
$$$ Tip! All four Workforce Education funding programs - BFET, Opportunity Grant, Worker Retraining, and WorkFirst - support Business Education training at Green River.