"Workforce Education at Green River was VERY instrumental in allowing me to go back to school, and I'm grateful for all the assistance I received and continue to receive." - Genie L, Green River Student

"Make sure you talk to Workforce Education...They can help in many ways to make things go smoothly and make sense." - Chris S, Green River Student

"Workforce Education...will embrace you and lend a helping hand with open hearts." Elsie Q, Green River Student

"Workforce Education has been there for me since day one!" - Jenny S, Green River student

Apr 23, 2013

Student Success Profile: Elsie Quitevis

Elsie Quitevis
Today's success profile features a Q and A with Elsie Quitevis. Elsie is a Workforce Education student who is enrolled in the Administrative Assistant program at Green River. She's completed multiple certificates and is now setting her sights on a career in the Administrative Assistant field. Check out her story below.

Hi Elsie. Thanks for joining us on the blog. What is it like being a student in the Administrative Assistant program at Green River?

Elsie: First of all, I would like to thank the entire Workforce Education family at GRCC for their assistance and for giving me the opportunity to go back to school. Being in this program has been a very fulfilling experience. I learned a lot from my instructors and I have met different kinds of students with different nationalities and backgrounds.

Can you tell us the story of how you decided to pursue training in this field of study?

Elsie: I worked for two years as a production worker, but because of the economic crisis I was laid off due to lack of work. I tried searching for a job for a couple of months but received no response. I tried to apply for clerical positions but they required experience. While I have 20 years of experience as a government employee, that was in my country, which I can't apply here. I went to WorkSource. My trainer there asked me if I would like to go to school with no expenses and so opportunity knocked on my door and I grabbed it right away. WorkSource directed me to go to Workforce Education at GRCC to inquire about their programs and they accommodated me. Now, I'm pursuing my final Administrative Assistant certificate and hopefully will finish at the end of the spring quarter, 2013. Once again, thank you Workforce Education!

You're completed multiple Administrative Assistant-related certificates. Congrats! What are your plans after graduation?

Elsie: Thank you. My plans after graduation are to apply for a job and, if hired, to save money to support my two kids for their schooling.

What advice would you have for new students who are thinking about pursuing training in a similar field of study?

Elsie: My advice for them is to study hard because for me, education is the greatest foundation in a person's life, and it is also the key to success. Another piece of advice is, if they need funding assistance for their schooling, go to Workforce Education at GRCC and they will embrace you and lend a helping hand with open hearts.
$$$ Tip! All four Workforce Education funding programs - BFET, Opportunity Grant, Worker Retraining, and WorkFirst, - support Administrative Assistant training at Green River.